Sports Mouthguards – What’s The Benefits, What Type Do You Need?
According to the ADA, sports mouthguards prevent more than 200,000 oral injuries each year. However, according to the NYSF, more than 5 million teeth will be knocked out this year due to sports injuries. Will you or your child be one of them?
Did you know that while playing sports activities the most common type of orofacial injuries are dental injuries?
Benefits of Sports Mouthguards
Sports mouthguards help cushion a blow to the face and teeth. This in turn will help minimize the risk of broken teeth and injuries involving your lips, tongue, face and jaw. A sports mouthguard will cover your upper teeth, thus protecting your teeth and soft tissue like your tongue, lips and cheek lining.
In a study performed by Dr. Raymond Flander, he documented two types of basketball teams. The first team was required to wear sports mouthguards and the second team wasn’t required to wear sports mouthguards. The team that was required to wear the mouthguards was 27% less likely to sustain an injury involving teeth and the oral cavity.
Another great benefit to mouthguards is the cost. The average cost to replace a tooth is about $2,000. The average cost of a sports mouthguard is $200. That’s an $1,800 savings!
3 Types of Sports Mouthguards
There are three different types of sports mouthguards. We will go through them one by one so you can decide which one would be best for you.
1. Stock Sports Guard: This is the least expensive option when it comes to sports mouthguards. That being said it also offers the least protection. This type of sports guard is available over-the-counter.
In order to use this type of guard, the user has to close their jaw to hold it in place, because of this it may interfere with speech and/or breathing. It can also make the users jaw sore.
It’s good to note that for proper facial protection, typically a stock sports guard is not considered an acceptable device.
2. Mouth-formed sports guard: There are two different forms of these sports guards or mouth guards. The first one is called a shell-liner, it’s made from acrylic material that is poured into an outer shell where it forms a lining. When it’s placed in the users mouth the lining material will form to his or her teeth and needs to be set.
The second form of this type of sports guard is called a thermoplastic, also known as boil-and-bite. With this type of mouth guard you need to soften it in hot water, place it in your mouth and shape it by running your finger around your teeth. You may also need to put biting pressure on it as well.
This type of sports guard can provide a degree of protection, however, it can be pretty bulky and quite often will have a loose fit.
A custom-made sports guard is your best option to help prevent injury.
We have six levels of protection when it comes to our custom made sports mouthguards.
- Junior: 1 layer of EVA material (3mm) with added incisal and occlusal protection. Designed specifically for children with mixed dentition. $87.00
- Light: 2 layers of laminated EVA (3mm) material. Designed for wrestling, volleyball, mountain biking, and motocross. $147.00
- Light Pro: 3 layers of laminated EVA (3.5mm) material (one hardened layer). Specially designed to provide maximum comfort and protection for all sports. $177.00
- Medium: 2 layers of laminated EVA (5mm) material. Specially fabricated for soccer, rugby, basketball, softball, rollerblading and skateboarding. $197.00
- Heavy: 2 layers of laminated EVA (5mm) material with 3 unique power dispersion bands. Specially designed for baseball, football, racquetball, martial arts and boxing. $227.00
- Heavy Pro: 3 layers of laminated EVA (5mm) material (one hardened layer). Custom fabricated for ice, field and street hockey along with kickboxing and other heavy contact sports where blows from pointed objects are expected. $267.00
Optional add on: Helmet strap $8.00
We have 17 solid colors to choose from and 11 patterns, or you can create a custom design with multi-colors or your team name. Each additional color is $5.00 and your team name is an additional $10.00
Give our Englewood Co dental office a call today to set up an appointment! 303-781-0624!
Common Tags: Sports guard Englewood Co, Sports mouthguard Englewood Co.