Do You Have Sleep Apnea? How Can You Treat This Condition?
Sleep apnea is a disorder where you have one or sometimes more pauses in breathing. Or you can have shallow breaths while you’re sleeping. These pauses can last from just a couple of seconds, to several minutes, and may occur several times an hour. Usually when you start to breath normal again, it can be accompanied with a loud snort or choking sound. However, not everyone who snores has this condition.
There are two different types of sleep apnea:
1. Obstructive: This is the most common type. Quite often the soft tissue at the back of your throat collapses while you’re asleep, thus blocking the airflow.
2. Central: This results from a problem with how the brain signals the breathing muscles. The brain fails to signal the muscles to breath.
Who are at risk to develop this condition?
Anyone at any age are at risk to develop this condition. Usually men are more likely to develop it then women. The risk is also great for those who:
- have a family history
- have large tonsils, large tongue or a small jaw
- are over 40
- are overweight
- have a nasal obstruction due to a deviated septum, allergies or sinus problems
Is it serious?
If you don’t treat this condition, it can lead to many health problems, including but not limited to:
- worsening of ADHD
- high blood pressure
- heart failure, irregular heartbeat and heart attack
Sleep Apnea Treatment in Englewood Co
Many people with this condition have found that, dental repositioning devices can substantially help with their symptoms, without the hassle of a CPAP machine. Research shows that dental repositioning devices, can successfully prevent this condition in some mild to moderate cases.
If you live in the Englewood Co. area give us call today to schedule an appointment. You can also click on the “Request appointment” button in the sidebar to schedule online.
Common Tags: Sleep apnea treatment Englewood Co, Sleep apnea Englewood CO. Dental repositioning devices Englewood Co. Sleep apnea symptoms in Englewood Co.