What Can You Do To Prevent Acid Erosion?
- Brush and floss daily.
- Get your teeth cleaned every six months.
- If you consume acidic foods or beverages, rinse your mouth out with water after you have eaten or drank.
- Chew sugar-free gum between meals. Sounds silly right? Chewing gum increases saliva production which in turn helps wash away the acid.
- Reduce or eliminate acidic food and drinks from your diet.
- If you drink acidic beverages, use a straw and don’t swish the liquid around in your mouth.
- Drink plenty of water throughout the day.
- Wait to brush for about 30 minutes after consuming acidic foods or beverages.This allows your mouth time to produce saliva to neutralize the acidity and allows the enamel to harden.
- Avoid sugary snacks.
- Use a fluoride toothpaste.
Our next blog will discuss how acid erosion is treated.
If you live in the Englewood Colorado area and would like to set up an appointment at our office, please give us a call today at 303-781-0624.