When Should Your Baby First Visit The Dentist?
The best time for your baby to see the dentist should be no later than his or hers first birthday. This should be followed up with a dental visit every six months. This is important because in addition to having their dental needs taken care of, they also become familiar with going to the dentist. This can help minimize anxiety later.
How To Protect Your Child’s Oral Health At Home
Here are five tips in helping to protect your child’s oral health:
- Clean your baby’s gums with a clean, damp cloth after each feeding.
- Monitor excessive sucking of pacifiers, fingers, and thumbs to avoid teeth misalignment.
- Give your child tap water to drink. If you buy bottled water make sure it is fluoridated. Fluoride will make your child’s teeth more resistant to decay.
- As soon as your baby’s teeth break through, begin brushing them with a soft bristle tooth brush and water.
- When your child is old enough, encourage him or her to brush their teeth themselves. This can boost self-confidence and will give them a head start to a life long habit.